After Bejing, ChicVoyage will be visiting a city in China, famous for the Teracotta warriors . Xian is a 13 hour drive, 1100km south west from Beijing, in the Shaanxi Province. An economy flight from Beijing to Xian is 2 hours long and you can expect to pay $200 US in December. I must admit that I did not know much about Xian until two months ago prior to planning this trip. The primary reason for our visit to Xian is to see the Terracotta warriors known for their rich cultural history. After writing this article I’ve learned that there is more to this city of more than 8 million people.
information about the Terracotta warriors
Travel wiki claims the Terracotta Warriors are the most popular tourist attraction in Shaanxi and one of the most on the whole in China. According to Wikipedia, the collection of warriors and horse sculptures were made in 210-209 BC to represent the armies of Qin Shi huang, the first Emperor of China. The purpose of the sculptures was to protect the emperor in the afterlife, who was buried with 8000 lifelife warriors, 30000 weapons, and approximately 100 chariots with horses. The site was only discovered in 1974 , is known as an eighth “wonder of the world”, and was recognized as a world cultural heritage site by Unesco in 1987. Further information and pictures available on the unesco website.
thanks to naturalscience1 for this video
If you have an appreciation for culture and history and are interested in how the Terracotta warriors were made and the secrets that science has revealed I recommend this video from National Geographic.
Xian is more than 3000 years old and in ancient times was known as Chang’an. For 1000 years the city was the captial for 13 dynasties and a total of 73 emperors.According to Travel wiki , Xian is the undisputed root of Chinese civilization.
Interesting facts about Xian
- It is known for its rock music, with underground music centres in China. It is home to contemporary Chinese sats Xu Wei, Zhang Chu, Zheng, Jun.
- Xian is the home town of the Golden Bear (Berlin Film Festival) and is the only place in China to claim double, Golden Bear, award-winning Chinese directors.
- Xian is China’s leading training centre for engineers. Many domestic and international telecommunication venros have set up R and D centre and factories in Xian.
- Xian has one of the largest internet bars in the world with 3000 computers! Online gaming is very popular and has hosted worldwide game competitions such as ACON5, CEG2006, and WWCG2006.
- Xian has the worlds largest city wall: 12m high 18m wide. Biking around this wall is recommended as a must do. It takes 2 hours. Bikes can be rented on the east and south gates.
Based on my internet research here are the variety of nightlife options.
1) Bell Tower – the tower is located at the center of the city and at night it is illuminated to provide a colorful backdrop for Chinese malls and restaurants. Here is an informative short video on the Bell Tower on a short travel show clip by Samantha Brown from the travel channel.
2) Movies – You can catch a move in Chinese at the Pang Gog Cinema close close to the Drum Tower at No. 61 Zhubashi Jie. There is another cinema at No.323 Dong Dajie northwest film city. Please check travel china guide for more details. In my opinion one of the benefits of watching a movie here are to catch the latest titles and treat it as an entertaining way of picking up some Chinese
3) KTV – I’m hearing about KTV as popular entertainment in Taiwan and according to travelchinaguide KTV is popular with students and working people in Xian and large cities in China.
4) Tang Dynasty diner and dancing show – Out of the 13 dynasty periods, Travelchinaguide claims that the Tang dynasty was the most popular and glorious one. This artistic show offers a modern interpretation of ancient china through the use of dancing, singing, musical instruments, and poetry. Check out this high quality video clip courtesy of dmjcosnard.
TRAVEL CREATE EARN
Subscribe for tips to help improve your ability to create and earn your time & location freedom.
What your will get:
- Gear & Tools I use for my Business
- Tips to Improve your Ability to Create & Earn with your creativity
- Business & Marketing Tips
- Destination Guides