Greg is a former corporate IT Manager and Business Lead from Vancouver, BC in Canada inspired during his MBA program to take a risk and follow his heart and passions. He is a modern World Explorer, Film-maker, Mobile & Google friendly Website producer, & Entrepreneur at the intersection of travel and technology. He has directed, shot, edited, and produced over 30 high definition travel and lifestyle related videos on Youtube in addition to producing ChicVoyage in Asia – modern travel adventures on the Amazon.com store in 2012. He has been instructed by globally renown SLR Director and film-maker Phillip Bloom. His 4 month 2013 journey took him to Hawaii, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, Singapore, Indonesia, and Malaysia. The next journey is currently in progress with a return to Asia where is currently living and studying Mandarin in Taiwan. His vision for his family of travel companies called Chicvoyagegroup is to “inspire the world to travel and explore”
South Africa review 2013 – a tourist in my motherland (trailer)
full version currently available at the end of the post
As someone who was originally born in South Africa with local relatives, but who has spent more of their adult life being raised in Canada I plan to offer a unique perspective on my homeland.
After 2 months of filming and traveling in Hawaii and Australia I would have been happy with the video and pictures I had captured for the year. Fortunately shortly before I left for Australia I was invited to accompany my grandmother from Singapore to South Africa. This would be a great opportunity to help my grandmother and revisit my home country at an age where I could appreciate it.
My last trip to South Africa was in 2001. I had spent time with my good family South African friends Leanne and Melissa while traveling through Australia. They had armed me with some inside information and suggested I turn on my South African accent to blend in with the locals.
A usable 10 day itinerary to South Africa
- check in at hotel near Sandton City, Johannesburg. The Radisson blu offers a convenient location
- Have dinner at hotel or Sandton
- Have breakfast and coffee at Mugg and Bean at Sandton City
- Take the Gautrain to Rosebank Mall and have lunch
- Back to Sandton City for dinner
- Do a big bus tour to take you around Johannesburg
- Fly from Joburg to Neilspruit for Kruger National Park Safari
- Self-drive to skukuza camp for 1 night
- Drive to Olifant Camp and sight see along the way
- Stay at Olifant Camp and check in
- Do a night safari
- Self drive to Sight see
- Drive to Neilspruit Airport from Kruger national Park
- Fly out to Capetown from Kruger National Park
- Check in at the your accommodation. Suggestion for view of Table Mountain (Flatrock Apartments) or Airbnb
- Breakfast at the V & A Waterfront
- Do the Robben Island Tour
- Visit Table Mountain to sight-see
- Drive out to Stellenbosch to visit Wine country and do a wine-tasting
- Take a drive out to Camps Bay and Chapmans Peak to enjoy the beach and the scenery
- Flight back to Tambo airport in Joburg and home
E-kindle Amazon book now Available
South Africa is a country that can offer a great lifestyle, weather, and value to visitors. There are some friendly down to earth people that I met while I this country. The tradeoff is the safety that comes with a huge gap between the poor and wealthy. Nelson Mandela has done much for this country and put South Africa on the map. I hope you enjoyed this original coverage of South Africa 2013, which I dedicate to my late Grand mother on my mother’s side who passed away days before I arrived on this trip. Thanks to my Dad’s mother (my Grand mother) for making this trip possible, my parents, my cousins in Pretoria & Sandton, my uncle Edmund, and family friends for their help during this trip. If you read down this far then wait until you see the video. I guarantee I’m going to show you something special!