I’ve lived in Vancouver since 1995 and have traveled to South Africa, New Zealand, Beijing, Shanghai, Singapore, Taiwan, Peru, Mexico, Las Vegas, Paris, Rome, Hong Kong, Hawaii, Xian, Turks and Caicos, Toronto, San Francisco and so on.
I enjoy keeping an active lifestyle, enjoy eating and trying a variety of experiences. With this in mind here are some top things Vancouver locals including myself enjoy doing:
1. Vancouver Seawall – I’ve yet to find a city in my travels that rivals our 22km seawall. The seawall is a paved path set aside for pedestrians and cyclists to enjoy amazing natural views that Vancouver has to offer. It begins from Coal harbour wraps around Stanley Park, goes through False Creek, past the Science World, and finishes at Kitsilano Park. To sum it up it is long. My favorite area is along the False Creek and Athletes Village Seawall. At False creek you have separate lanes for walkers and cyclists and an amazing view. You can also catch the Aqua Bus at David Lam and cross the water to Granville Island to visit the market and get something delicious to eat.
2. Vancouver Asian Food – It is hard to find a friend or colleague in Vancouver that that does not enjoy the great options for food we have in Vancouver. However, I believe that Vancouver locals enjoy an excellent variety of Asian food that from Chinese (Sun Sui Wah) , Shanghai (Shanghai Wonderful, Shanghai River) , Taiwanese (Wang’s Beef Noodles, Huang’s Beef Noodles), Korean, Vietnamese (Au Petit Cafe, Thai Son), Malaysian, Cambodian (Phnom Penh), and East Indian. Other food experiences to try include Dim Sum, the snacks at the Summer night market in Richmond, food courts in Richmond (Richmond Public Market, Aberdeen, YaoHan), or Bubble tea cafes (Pearl Castle, Bubble World). Using Yelp on your smartphone is also a great idea. You can filter for restaurants that are in your location, fit your budget, well reviewed, type of food you want, and includes the contact information. What an awesome app.
In this entertaining and informative video Greg Hung and Catherine film a beginning to end of the Dim sum experience at one of the top Chinese restaurants Sun Sui Wah. Catherine is a locally born Vancouverite and will share some of her favorite dim sum dishes and even an education on tea etiquette.
3. Vancouver Coffee houses – Walk into a starbucks or a JJ Bean during a weekday or weekend morning and you will see evidence of how popular coffee is with the locals. Vancouver has a strong coffee culture that supports a variety of coffee shops that provide different experiences. Some of my local favorites for the quality and strength of the coffee and ambiance include: Bean Around the World, JJ Bean, and Cafe Artigiano. There is strong support for Starbucks, Tim Hortons, and even internet friendly coffee shops like Waves, 49th Parallel, and Blenz.
4. Beach Volleyball – Vancouver active locals love to organize BBQ’s and beach volleyball games at the beach. You’ve got a beautiful backdrop of the mountains and downtown to enjoy while you play. Popular beaches to play include Kitsilano and Spanish banks beaches. It is free as long as you bring your own volleyball, net, and friends.
5. Hiking – Vancouver locals love to get outdoors especially during the summer. A popular weekend activity to is to organize a hike with some friends and bring your hiking gear (water, appropriate shoes, clothing, lunch) and take pictures. It’s a great way to get some exercise, social time, and adventure. Some popular trails are the Grouse Grind located at Grouse Mountain, but some locals prefer other trails due to its populatiry. Another option is the Stawamus Chief Hike, which rewards you with amazing views at the top of any of their 3 peaks.
Here is a video of the Stawamus Hike experience
Inspire and inform people to travel and discover the world by visiting every inspirational destination.
Entrepreneur Greg Hung sold his home and left his job in Vancouver BC, Canada to pursue his dream of building a global company ChicVoyage, dedicated to sharing travel experiences Chic style. In 2011 his journey took him to Montreal, Whistler, Turks and Caicos, Beijing, Shanghai, Hong Kong, Singapore, Guangzhou, Xian, and Taiwan.
TRAVEL CREATE EARN
Subscribe for tips to help improve your ability to create and earn your time & location freedom.
What your will get:
- Gear & Tools I use for my Business
- Tips to Improve your Ability to Create & Earn with your creativity
- Business & Marketing Tips
- Destination Guides